Final preparations are complete for the debut of our Mini Cooper S race car. The final stickers and badges have been fitted and we’ve made some improvements to the cooling since testing the other week. The car spent some time on the dyno and with modifications to the carburettors, profiling of needles and some ignition advance we’ve found 10.5bhp and increased the power band by nearly 800rpm.
We have a beautifully restored mk1 Austin Mini on the rollers this morning. From the outside the car appears to be a standard 850cc model other than the wider rubber but on the inside the car is fitted with a 1330cc engine, twin SU carbs and Cooper S disc brakes. The engine has only recently been built so we are getting the carbs balanced and giving it a base setup for running in.
A smart little Mk2 Morris Mini with a 1275cc engine and twin HS4 carburettors. The engine was running poorly due to a number of factors. We set the points gap and set the ignition timing. Once the twin SU carburettors were balanced we setup the idle then gave it a power run. A change of needles was required to get the fueling right but it runs an awful lot better now.