We were asked to carry out a 1967 Mustang power steering conversion. I researched the available products and decided upon the Borgeson power steering conversion kit. Borgeson manufacture a wide range of compact power steering boxes for American vehicles.
The 1967 Mustang was a transition year from the smaller 1″ sector shaft in the steering box to the larger 1-1/8″. The simple method to determine which size you have is the measure the nut that secures the pitman arm to the steering box. If you have the smaller shaft the nut will measure 1-1/8″. And, if you have the larger shaft, the nut will measure 1-5/16″. This car had the larger type so we requested the appropriate kit.
Firstly, we had to remove the left hand exhaust header. This gave us the room remove the existing steering box and fit the new one. Next, we had to disconnect the pitman arm and the steering column. The inner steering column is one-piece, so the only way to get it out is to open up the steering box and remove it along with the worm gear. Once this is apart the steering box and column can both be removed. The new steering box from Borgeson bolts straight in. The new box uses a rag joint and a shorter inner column. To allow for this, the outer steering column has to be cut down shorter. The original pitman arm fits perfectly on the new box so none of your steering geometry has to change.
Next, we bolt the pump to the front of the left hand cylinder head with the supplied fittings. Before fitting the power steering hoses we refitted the header. We found the a 10mm x 1075mm V-belt was the perfect length. Finally, we fill the pump with fluid and go for a test drive. We found the Borgeson kit to be well designed and relatively simple to fit. In addition, the performance from the 67 Mustang power steering conversion was fantastic.
This week we had a gorgeous Series 1 Jaguar E-type in for a front suspension rebuild and service. Although this car is recently restored we found that many of the rubber components were already perishing. Unfortunately we find this to be a problem with all classics. The quality of new rubber components is often terrible. We often see bushes and gaiters crumbling away when they are barely a year old.
When available, we will fit better quality rubber components. In the case of Jaguar E-types, SNG Barratt make a superior ball joint gaiter. It’s about £5 more than the cheaper version but well worth it. In addition to the bushes and gaiters we also fitted an lower engine seal upgrade kit and changed the oil. After this E-type front suspension rebuild, we’re hoping the new components will last a little longer.
This week we were asked to add a bespoke dash rail for a Mini Cooper S roll cage modification. The car is an Appendix K FIA historic race car with an existing weld-in roll cage. However, the existing roll cage did not feature a dash rail and the owner wanted the additional safety.
We keep a range of roll cage tubing in stock but if we don’t have it we can usually get it next day. We cut a piece of tube to length and bent it on our Baileigh Industrial mandrel tube bender. Next, the ends of the tube are carefully notched for a tight fit. Finally, the new tube is welded into place.
If you have any bespoke roll cage requirements, even a simple roll cage modification like this, don’t hesitate to get in touch.
We are excited to announce that we are now an official dealer and fitment centre for Custom Cages. Supplying and fitting the best motorsport roll cages to the South East area. Custom Cages offer the largest range of light weight T45 historic roll cages in the Country.
We have stock of the FIA Mini Historic T45 roll cage but can supply any of their cages to order. Lead time for supply is approximately 3 weeks. We aim to offer quick turnaround times on fitment. And additionally, we are the only official fitment centre supplying roll cages in the South East of England.
In addition to Custom Cages roll cages we continue to offer and bespoke roll cage service for anything that is not off the shelf.
Now the 2019 race season is over we’re spending a bit of time on the bodyshell race preparation of our Plymouth Barracuda. In recent weeks we’ve continued to seam weld the body. Additionally we’ve reinforced some high stress areas around the suspension pickup points.
We’ve removed all unnecessary tabs and brackets to help save a little weight. Furthermore, we’ve filled all unnecessary holes in the bulkhead. Because a sealed bulkhead is a requirement under the FIA and Motorsport UK regulations.
The other major modification is the 4-speed conversion. This Plymouth Barracuda was originally an automatic. We sourced a gearbox in the UK and a pedal box on eBay in the states. The rest of the parts came from Brewers Performance in Ohio.
Once we complete the bodyshell race preparation this Plymouth Barracuda historic race car it will be prepped for paint. We’re think red.